Friday, September 27, 2013

CULTURAL COLONIALISM




Chile, as is well known was a Spanish colony and they don´t snatch just territory and riches but they remove almost all our original culture inheriting us their language, institutions and costum. 

Nowadays, after many centuries, the situation is not too different. We are in general a producer of raw materials, dependent on the foreign manufactures, and we continue modifying our culture, taking, in pursuit of the "progress" and the "modernity", foreign cultural forms. I must say that, even today we are living a re-colonization period, this time not with wars arm; but with a new arm: the communication and the globalization.

Obviously today exists institutions that regulate the economic and cultural exchanges. But as we can see these are not too fair, and always they go to support the most powerful countries.

One of the most powerful countries today, no doubt, is United State, and this country has with Chile very unfair treaties, a great example is the cinema industry: while they send hundred movies, we just can send a few one because that´s the treaty. And those movies are not made for a Chilean audience, but they can send anything they want, and those movies are not just for fun, there is a comercial background, they sell with they movies their whole way of life: ridiculous modernity, consumerism, superficiality, competitiveness, etc. 

I think we must care about it.

3 comments:

  1. I think that the chilean culture is a big mixed of the other cultures. I believe that own culture has not much elements of the original culture. Regards :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hello! Well I think that you have a reason... For many time the Europe our site our culture and now E.E.U.U do this! I hope that one day I remember that we are!

    ReplyDelete
  3. :O ... your post was very revolutionary and thanks to you I can realize that the empire of USA is so hegemonic... I never asked myself about the movies but you are right ... they send us millions of movies in the year when we only have 2 or 3 chilean movies in billboard... that is't so cruel... now I support the chilean productions

    ReplyDelete